Traditional Indian Board Games That Will Make You Nostalgic
Games have been an important part of Indian rich culture and tradition. Ludo, chess, snake & ladder are Indian origin games specially meant for recreation along with strengthening mental fitness.
This Covid-19 pandemic has hit us so hard that we had to sit in our homes for more than 5 months resulting in the increased screen time. Games like ludo are one of the most downloaded online games in India. It is time to switch to board games. Let's recall good old desi strategy games which rejuvenate and refreshes the mind.
- Pachisi/ Ludo:
- This is the oldest and most played board game in Indian mythology.
- Played by 2, 3 and 4 players. The team which moves all its pieces into the home first wins the game.
This Pachisi board is hand-stitched by raw silk and woven with the finest fabric, the coins are handmade with earth-friendly wood materials and natural color paint.
- Vamana Guntalu/ Pallanguzhi:
- This game improves our mathematical skills and eye-hand coordination.
- It’s a 2 player game.
It increases the power of concentration and enhances memory.
- Daadi/ Nine men’s morris:
- It's a solved game, that is, with a perfect play by both players the game, can result in a draw.
- This is a strategy game played by 2 players.
The alternative versions of the game are three, six and twelve men’s morris.
- Naughts and crosses/ Tic-tac-toe:
- Because of its simplicity, it is often used as a pedagogical tool for teaching the concepts of good sportsmanship and the branch of artificial intelligence.
- It's a 2 player game and a solved game with a forced draw assuming best play from both players.
It improves observation skills.
- This game has been derived from the invincible military tactics.
- It is a highly mind-stimulating game that develops logical thinking while teaching our deep-rooted history and culture.
Chakravyuhams fascinating approach improves observational skills as its circular form challenges the players to look out for dangers in all directions.
- Puli Meka/ Lambs and tigers:
- It's a 2 player game. The tigers 'hunt' the goats while the goats attempt to block the tiger’s movements.
This game helps people to develop strategy and concept of teamwork by teaching that even though weak if united, one can vanquish the stronger enemy as a team.
The next time you want to indulge in exercising your mind in a board game try beating your opponent in the ways of the kings by playing these games. Ancient Living game boards are handmade from eco-friendly materials. The cloth used in making the base of the game symbolizes minimalism yet having a royal touch to it. Be it picnics or a gift to your loved ones abroad, our games fit the space as if it were the correct piece to complete a puzzle.